The following are some examples of 3rd Grade Math Word Problems for addition and subtraction that uses the Singapore Math block diagram or modeling problem solving techniques.
Related Topics: More word problems in Singapore Math
3rd-grade math addition word problems
Allen saved $1570. Sally saved $1936 more than Allen. How much did they save altogether?
Step 1: Find how much Sally saved.
1570 + 1936 = 3506
Sally saved $3506.
Step 2: Find how much they saved altogether.
1570 + 3506 = 5076
They saved $5076 altogether.
3rd-grade math subtraction word problems
An oven cost $860. A washing machine cost $135 less than the oven. Find the change received by Ben if he paid the cashier $1000 for the washing machine.
Step 1: Find the cost of the washing machine.
860 – 135 = 725
The cost of the washing machine was $725.
Step 2: Find the change received.
1000 – 725 = 275
He received $275 in change.
More examples of word problems:
(1) 134 girls and 119 boys took part in an art competition. How many more girls than boys are there?
(2) Mei Lin saved $184. She saved $63 more than Betty. How much did Betty saved?
(3) John read 32 pages in the morning. He read 14 pages less in the afternoon.
a) How many pages did he read in the afternoon?
b) How many pages did he read altogether?
More examples of two-step word problems:
(1) Jamie picked 17 flowers and Lindsey picked 12. They gave away 20 of the flowers. How many flowers were left?
(2) 125 children took part in a mathematics competition. 54 of them were girls. How many more boys than girls were there?
(3) Ali collected 137 stamps. He collected 27 stamps less than his sister. How many stamps did they collect altogether?
This video shows you how to solve two-step word problems using bar models.
50 children attended the birthday party. 13 children left during the first hour. 9 children came in during the second hour. How many children were at the birthday party then?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.