Videos and solutions to help Grade 2 students learn how to solve two-digit addition and subtraction word problems involving length by using tape diagrams and writing equations to represent the problem.
Common Core Standards:
Core Math Resources, Lesson Plans & Worksheets for all grades
Common Core Math
Video Lessons, Math Worksheets and Games for Grade 2
Math Video Lessons, Math Worksheets and Games for all grades
New York State Common Core Math Module 7, Grade 2, Lesson 20
Topic E: Problem Solving with Customary and Metric Units
NYS Math Grade 2 Module 7 Lesson 20
Lesson 20 Homework
Solve using tape diagrams. Use a symbol for the unknown.
1. Luann has a piece of ribbon that is 1 yard long. She cuts off 33 inches to tie a gift
box. How many inches of ribbon are not used?
2. Elijah runs 68 yards in a 100 yard race. How many more yards does he have to run?
3. Chris has a 57-inch piece of string and another piece that is 15 inches longer than
the first. What is the total length of both strings?
4. Janine knitted 12 inches of a scarf on Friday and 36 inches on Saturday. She wants
the scarf to be 72 inches long. How many more inches does she need to knit?
5. The total length of all three sides of a triangle is 120 feet. Two sides of the
triangle are the same length. One of the equal sides measures 50 feet. What is the
length of the side that is not equal?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.