Answer word problems about a data set
Videos to help Grade 1 students learn how to ask and answer varied word problem types about a data set
with three categories.
Common Core Grade 1, Module 3, Topic D: Data Interpretation
Common Core Standards: 1.OA.1, 1.MD.2, 1.MD.4
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 1
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core For Grade 1
New York State Common Core Math Grade 1, Module 3, Lesson 12, Lesson 13
Lesson 12, Lesson 13 Concept Development and Homework
The class has 18 students and they wore different kinds of shoes to school on Friday.
Nine students wore sneakers, six students wore sandals, and three students wore
boots. Use squares with no overlaps to organize the data from the pictures. Line up
your squares carefully.
Use the graph to answer the questions. Fill in the blank and write a number sentence.
1. How many more hot lunch orders than sandwich orders?
2. How many fewer salad orders than hot lunch orders?
3. If 5 more students order hot lunch, how many hot lunch orders will there be?
Use the chart to answer the questions. Fill in the blanks and write a number sentence.
1. How many more students like fairy tales than science books?
2. How many fewer students like science books than picture books?
3. How many students picked fairy tales or science books in all?
4. How many more students would need to pick
science books to have the same number as fairy
5. If 5 more students show up late and all pick fairy tales will this be the type of book
that the most students picked as their favorite? Yes or no? Use a number
sentence to show your answer.