Solving Two-Step Equations
More Lessons for Grade 6
Videos, worksheets, stories and songs to help Grade 6 students learn how to Solve Two-Step Equations.
In order to solve an equation, we need to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. In this lesson, we will learn how to solve two-step equations. A two-step equation is an equation that you can solve in two operations.
In some other lessons, we will learn how to solve one-step equations
, multi-step equations
and equations with variables on both sides
How to solve two-step equations?
1. Add or subtract in order to isolate the variable term.
2. Multiply or divide to solve for the variable.
3. Check all possible solutions.
Remember: To maintain equality, we must perform the same operation to both sides of the equation.
Solving Two Step Equations: The Basics
Solving Two Step Equations Involving Fractions
Ex 1: Solving a Two Step Equation with Fractions
Ex 2: Solving a Two Step Equation with Fractions - NOT Clearing the Fractions
Ex 2: Solving a Two Step Equation with Fractions - Clearing the Fractions
1. Build fractions that have the same least common denominator.
2. Multiply each fraction by the common denominator to clear the fractions from the equation.
3. Add or subtract in order to isolate the variable term.
4. Multiply or divide to solve for the variable.
5. Check all possible solutions.
Lesson on solving two step equations
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.