Transformation - Rotation, Reflection, Translation
Videos and lessons to help Grade 8 students verify experimentally the properties of rotations, reflections, and translations.
A. Lines are taken to lines, and line segments to line segments of the same length.
B. Angles are taken to angles of the same measure.
C. Parallel lines are taken to parallel lines.
Common Core: 8.G.1
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can define and identify rotations, reflections, and translations.
- I can identify corresponding sides and corresponding angles of similar figures.
- I can understand prime notation to describe an image after a translation,
reflection, or rotation.
- I can identify center of rotation.
- I can identify direction and degree of rotation.
- I can identify line of reflection.
- I can use physical models, transparencies, or geometry software to verify the
properties of rotations, reflections, and translations (i.e. Lines are taken to lines
and line segments to line segments of the same length, angles are taken to angles
of the same measure, parallel lines are taken to parallel lines).
Common Core for Grade 8
Common Core for Mathematics
More Math Lessons for Grade 8
Verify Properties of Transformations using Line Segments.
Translation with patty paper.
Construction of a Triangle Translation using patty paper.
Construction of a Triangle Reflection using patty paper.
Reflection using patty paper.
Performing a Rotation using Tracing Paper
This video shows show how to do a basic rotation using tracing paper. This rotation used (0,0) as the rotation point and rotated 90˚ clockwise.
Perform a Rotation using Patty Paper.
Anti-clockwise 110 degrees.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.