Tessellate to understand Perimeter
Videos and solutions to help Grade 3 students learn how to tessellate to understand perimeter as the boundary of a shape.
Common Core Standards: 3.G.1
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 3
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 3
Common Core For Grade 3
New York State Common Core Math Grade 3, Module 7, Lesson 11
: A figure that is made by copying a
shape many times, without any gaps or overlaps.
1. Follow the directions below, using the shape you created yesterday.
a. Tessellate your shape on a blank piece of paper.
b. Color your tessellation to create a pattern.
c. Outline the perimeter of your tessellation with a highlighter.
d. Use a string to measure the perimeter of your tessellation.
Sky and Water Painting
1. Samson tessellates regular hexagons to make the shape below.
a. Outline the perimeter of Samson’s new shape with a highlighter.
b. Explain how Samson could use a string to measure the perimeter of his new shape.
c. How many sides does his new shape have?
d. Shade in the area of his new shape with a colored pencil.
2. Estimate to draw at least four copies of the given triangle to make a new shape, without gaps or overlaps.
Outline the perimeter of your new shape with a highlighter. Shade in the area with a colored pencil.
3. The marks on the strings below show the perimeters of Shyla’s and Frank’s shapes. Whose shape has a
greater perimeter? How do you know?
4. India and Theo use the same shape to create the tessellations shown below.
a. Estimate to draw the shape India and Theo used to make their tessellations.
b. Theo says both tessellations have the same perimeter. Do you think Theo is right? Why or why not?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.