Solving Systems of Equations Using Elimination By Addition
More Lessons for Algebra
Videos, worksheets, games and activities to help Algebra 1 students learn how to solve systems of linear equations by addition or elimination.
How to Solve Systems of Equations Using Elimination By Addition?
1. Line up the variables.
2. Determine which variables to eliminate. Make the coefficients opposites.
3. Add straight down. (One variable should be eliminated).
4. Solve the resulting equation.
5. Substitute the result into either of the original equation.
6. Solve for the variable to find the ordered pair solution.
7. Check the solution to both original equations.
Solving Systems of Equations
Students learn to solve a system of linear equations by addition.
To solve a system of equations by addition, the goal is to cancel out one of the variables by adding the equations together. Students may need to multiply one or both of the equations by a number in order to set up a situation where one of the variables will cancel out when the equations are added together.
Solving a system of two equations in two variables by the addition method.
Solving Systems of Linear Equations Using Elimination By Addition - Two complete examples and part of a third problem are shown!
Solve Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination
You can use the Mathway widget below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem. Then click "Answer" to check your answer.