Subtract 8 from Teen Numbers
Videos to help Grade 1 students learn how to model subtraction of 8 from teen numbers.
Common Core Standards: 1.OA.1,
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 1
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core For Grade 1
New York State Common Core Math Module 2, Grade 1, Lesson 17, Lesson 18
Lesson 17 Problem Set
Draw and circle 10, or break apart the teen number with a number bond. Then subtract.
8. 12 - 8 =
9. 13 - 8 =
Lesson 17 Homework
2. Show how you would solve 14 - 8, either with a number bond or a drawing.
Draw and circle 10. Then subtract.
4. Lucy has $12. She spends $8. How much money does she have now?
Draw and circle 10, or use a number bond to break apart the teen number and subtract.
5. Sean has 15 dinosaurs. He gives 8 to his sister. How many dinosaurs does he keep?
Lesson 18 Problem Set
Make a math drawing of a 5-group row and some ones to solve the following problems.
Write the addition sentence that shows how to add the parts after subtracting 8 or 9.
2. 11 - 8 =
Lesson 18 Homework
Draw 5-group rows and cross out to solve. Write the 2+ addition sentence that helped
you add the two parts.
1. Annabelle had 13 goldfish. 8 goldfish ate fish food. How many goldfish did not eat
3. There were 19 turtles swimming in the pond. Some turtles climbed up onto the dry
rocks and now there are only 8 turtles swimming. How many turtles are on the dry
Find the missing number by drawing 5-group rows.
8. Draw 5-group rows to show the story. Cross out or use number bonds to solve.
Write a number sentence to show how you solved the problem.
There were 14 people at home. 10 people are watching a football game. 4 people are
playing a board game. 8 people left. How many people stayed?
Lesson 18 Homework
2. Sam collected 15 buckets of rain water. He used 8 buckets to water his plants.
How many buckets of rain water does Sam have left?
Sam has ____ buckets of rain water left.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.