Round Decimals (Grade 5)
Videos and lessons to help Grade 5 students learn to use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
Common Core: 5.NBT.4
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can explain how decimals can be rounded and why it's useful.
- I can round decimals to any place.
- I understand why the value of the digit to the right of a number determines whether to round up or down.
Common Core for Grade 5
More Lessons for Grade 5
Rounding decimals to any place using number lines--Lesson 1 of 3 (Common Core Standard 5.NBT.4)
In this lesson you will learn to round decimals to the nearest whole number by using a number line.
Rounding decimals to any place using number lines--Lesson 2 of 3
In this lesson you will learn to round decimal numbers to the nearest tenth by using a number line.
Rounding decimals to any place using number lines--Lesson 3 of 3
In this lesson you will learn to round decimal numbers to the nearest hundredths place by using a number line.
Place Value - Rounding Decimals (5-NBT-4)
Rounding Decimals to the nearest tenth and hundredth using a number line.
Find your number.
Look right next door.
4 or less just ignore.
5 or more, add 1 more.
5.NBT.4 round decimals using a rounding tree.
Rounding Decimals to the nearest tenths
1) Underline the digit in the place being rounded
2) Circle the number to the right. This is the guide number.
3) If the guide number is 5 or higher, round up the underlined digit. If the guide number is less than 5, the underlined digit stays the same.
Estimation with Decimals.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.