Properties of Rhombus
More Lessons for Geometry
Videos, worksheets, games and activities to help Geometry students learn about the properties of rhombus.
What are the Properties of a Rhombus?
A rhombus is a quadrilateral and has all the properties of a quadrilateral
* 4 sides
* 4 vertices
* 4 angles that sum to 360°
A rhombus is a parallelogram and has all the properties of a parallelogram
* 2 sets of opposite parallel sides
* opposite angles are congruent
* consecutive angles sum to 180°
In addition, a rhombus has these special properties
* 4 congruent sides
* diagonals are perpendicular bisectors
* diagonals are angle bisectors
Properties of rhombi often show up in geometric proofs and many other types of problems.
All parallelogram properties apply to rhombus properties since a rhombus is a type of parallelogram.
In a rhombus, there are
(1) two pairs of parallel sides,
(2) four sides that are all congruent to each other,
(3) diagonals that bisect the angles, and
(4) diagonals that are perpendicular bisectors of each other.
Properties of a Rhombus
The diagonals of a rhombus are perpendicular and bisect the angles of the rhombus
Area of a Rhombus - Geometry Help
Students learn the formula for the area of a rhombus, and are asked to solve problems using this formula.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.