Videos, examples, and solutions to help Grade 3 students learn how to explore and create unconventional representations of one-half.
Common Core Standards: 3.G.1
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 3
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 3
Common Core For Grade 3
New York State Common Core Math Grade 3, Module 7, Lesson 31, Lesson 32
Lesson 31 Homework
1. Use the rectangle below to answer Problems 1(a) through 1(d).
a. What is the area of the rectangle in square units?
b. What is the area of half of the rectangle in square units?
c. Shade in half of the rectangle above. Be creative with your shading!
d. Explain how you know you shaded in half of the rectangle.
2. During math class, Arthur, Emily, and Gia draw a shape and then shade one-half of it. Analyze each
student’s work. Tell if each student was correct or not, and explain your thinking.
3. Shade the grid below to show two different ways of shading half of each shape.
Lesson 32 Homework
1. Estimate to finish shading the circles below so that each circle is about one-half shaded.
2. Choose one of the circles in Problem 1, and explain how you know it’s about one-half shaded.
3. Can you say the circles in Problem 1 are exactly one-half shaded? Why or why not?
4. Marissa and Jake shade in circles as shown below.
a. Whose circle is about one-half shaded? How do you know?
b. Explain how the circle that is not one-half shaded can be changed so that it is one-half shaded.
5. Estimate to shade about one-half of each circle below in an unusual way.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.