Write two different expressions that can be depicted by the tape diagram shown. One expression should include
addition, while the other should include multiplication.
1. Write the addition sentence that describes the model and the multiplication sentence that describes the model.
2. Write an equivalent expression to demonstrate the relationship of multiplication and addition.
a. 6 + 6
b. 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3
c. 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4
d. 6 × 2
e. 4 × 6
f. 3 × 9
g. h + h + h + h + h
3. Roberto is not familiar with tape diagrams and believes that he can show the relationship of multiplication and addition on a number line. Help Roberto demonstrate that the expression 3 × 2 is equivalent to 2 + 2 + 2 on a number line.
4. Tell whether the following number sentences are true or false. Then explain your reasoning.
a. x + 6g - 6g = x
b. 2f - 4e + 4e = 2f
5. Write an equivalent expression to demonstrate the relationship between addition and multiplication.
a. 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 4
b. d + d + d + w + w + w + w
c. a + a + b + b + b + c + c + c + c
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.