Videos, worksheets, stories and songs to help Grade 5 students learn about quadrilaterals.
In this lesson, we will learn about quadrilaterals, special quadrilaterals and their attributes or properties.
More Lessons for Grade 5 Math
Grade 5 Worksheets
More Geometry Lessons
Quadrilaterals are four-sided polygons. Although rectangles are the
most common quadrilaterals that we see in everyday life, there are many classes of quadrilaterals.
The quadrilateral family includes squares, rectangles, rhombuses,
parallelograms, kites, and trapezoids, along with other four sided regular
and non-regular shapes.
All quadrilaterals have four straight sides, four vertices and four angles. Every quadrilateral has two diagonals. Since a diagonal divides the quadrilateral into two triangles, the sum of angles in a quadrilateral is always 180° + 180° = 360°
The chart below shows some special quadrilaterals.
Some quadrilaterals do not fit into any of the above listed classifications.
A quadrilateral is a 4-sided polygon.
A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with both pairs of opposite sides parallel.
A rhombus is a quadrilateral with all 4 sides congruent.
A rectangle is a quadrilateral with 4 right angles.
A square is a rectangle with all 4 sides congruent.
Properties of Quadrilaterals
This video looks at properties of various quadrilaterals.
Properties of Quadrilaterals
A lesson on the properties of quadrilaterals (parallelogram, rectangle, square, rhombus, kite, trapezoid).
Properties of Parallelograms:
1) Opposite sides are parallel
2) Opposite sides are congruent
3) Opposite angles are congruent
4) Diagonals bisect each other
5) Any pair of consecutive angles are supplementary
Properties of Kites:
1) Two disjoint pairs of consecutive sides are congruent
2) The diagonals are perpendicular
3) One diagonal is the perpendicular bisector of the other.
4) One of the diagonals bisects a pair of opposite angles
5) One pair of opposite angles are congruent
Properties of Rhombuses:
1) All the properties of a parallelogram.
2) All the properties of a kite
3) All the sides are congruent
4) The diagonals divide the rhombus into four congruent right triangles
Properties of Squares:
1) All the properties of a rectangle and rhombus
2) All diagonals form four isosceles right triangles
Properties of an Isosceles Trapezoid:
1) The legs are congruent
2) The bases are parallel
3) The lower base angles are congruent
4) The upper base angles are congruent
5) The diagonals are congruent
6) Any lower base angle is supplementary to any upper base angle
Song about Quadrilaterals: Square, Kite, Rhombus, Trapezoid, Rectangle, Parallelogram.
Know Your Quadrilaterals Song.
The Quadrilateral Song ... a song rap to remember names and properties of quadrilaterals.
Quadrilateral Rap (Math Song)
Definitions of Special Quadrilaterals.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.