Here are some examples of percent word problems. The videos will illustrate how to use the block diagrams (Singapore Math) method to solve word problems.
Examples of solving percent problems with bar models:
1. Marilyn saves 30% of the money she earns each month. She earns $1350 each month. How much does she save?
2. At the Natural History Museum, 40% of the visitors are children. There are 36 children at the museum. How many visitors altogether are at the museum?
3. Bill bought cards to celebrate Pi day. He sent 60% of his cards to his friends. He sent 42 cards to his friends. How many cards did he buy altogether?
4. Bruce cooked 80% of the pancakes at the pancake breakfast last weekend. They made 1120 pancakes. How many pancakes did Bruce cook?
An example of finding total price with sales tax and an example of finding cost after discount.
1. Alejandro bought a TV for $900 and paid a sales tax of 8%. How much did he pay for the TV?
2. Alice saved for a new bike. The bike was on sale for a discount of 35%. The original cost of the bike was $270. How much did she pay for the bike?
Example: There are 600 children on a field. 30% of them were boys.
After 5 teams of boys join the children on the field, the percentage of children who were boys increased to 40%. How many boys were there in the 5 teams altogether?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.