Partition Rectangles (Grade 2)
Videos and songs to help Grade 2 students learn to partition a rectangle into rows and columns of same-size squares and count to find the total number of them.
Common Core: 2.G.2
Suggested Learning Target
- I can draw rows and columns of equal size in a rectangle.
- I can count the equal size squares in a rectangle.
- I can partition rectangles into rows and columns of same-size squares.
- I can use concrete materials (e.g., color tiles and cubes) to partition a rectangle
- I can apply repeated addition when counting total number of partitions
More Lessons for Grade 2
Common Core for Grade 2
Same Size Squares
This video series for the Common Core State Standards for Mathematics, shows how to partition a rectangle into columns and rows and then counting the number of same-size squares created after partitioning. The standard, 2.G.2, provides a solid foundation for multiplication and area for third grade math.
Partitioning rectangles using rows and columns (2.G.2)