The Opposite of a Number's Opposite
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 6
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
New York State Common Core Math Grade 6, Module 3, Lesson 5
Video solutions to help Grade 6 students know that the opposite of the opposite is the original number.
Lesson 5 Student Outcomes
• Students understand that, for instance, the opposite of is -5 denoted -(-5) and is equal to 5. In general, they know that the opposite of the opposite is the original number; e.g., -(-a) = a.
• Students locate and position opposite numbers on a number line.
1. Locate the number -2 and its opposite on the number line below.
2. Write an integer that represents each of the following:
a. 90 feet below sea level
b. $100 of debt
c. 2 C above zero
3. Joe is at the ice cream shop and his house is 10 blocks north of the shop. The park is 10 blocks south of the ice cream shop. When he is at the ice cream shop, is Joe closer to the park or his house? How could the number zero be used in this situation? Explain.
Example 1: The Opposite of an Opposite of a Number
What is the opposite of the opposite of 8? How can we illustrate this number on a number line?
a. What number is 8 units to the right of 0?
b. How can you illustrate locating the opposite of on this number line? What is the opposite of 8?
c. Use the same process to locate the opposite of -8. What is the opposite of -8?
d. The opposite of an opposite of a number is __________
Complete the table using the cards in your group.
1. Write the opposite of the opposite of -10 as an equation.
2. In general, the opposite of the opposite of a number is the ______
3. Provide a real-world example of this rule. Show your work.