Videos and songs to help Kindergarten and Grade 1 kids learn the Fact Families.
Fact Families will help them to apply properties of operations as strategies to add and subtract. Examples: If 8 + 3 = 11 is known, then 3 + 8 = 11 is also known. (Commutative property of addition.) To add 2 + 6 + 4, the second two numbers can be added to make a ten, so 2 + 6 + 4 = 2 + 10 = 12. (Associative property of addition.)
Understand subtraction as an unknown-addend problem. For example, subtract 10 – 8 by finding the number that makes 10 when added to 8.
Common Core: 1.OA.4
- I can use properties of operations to add and subtract.
- I can give an example and explain how a subtraction equation can be rewritten as an addition equation.
- I can rewrite a subtraction equation as an addition equation with a missing addend.
- I can connect addition to subtraction (Inverse Operation)
- I can apply the strategy to think addition rather than take away:
Rather than 9 - 6 = ___ ask how many would you add to six to equal nine?
- I can use concrete models with manipulatives to find the unknown
More Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core for Grade 1
Solving addition and subtraction fact families when all three numbers are given and when there is a missing addend or sum. 13, 8 and 5; 11, 7 and 4; 16, 9 and 7.
Learn how to complete a fact family using a part-part-whole method.
Fact Family: 3, 4, and 7 (Addition and subtraction).
Fact Family Video
This song helps children understand fact family for addition and subtraction.
Subtraction - Fact Families and Fact Triangles.
Learn about fact families and fact triangles for subtraction.
Want to help your first grade child with their math lessons?
Teach your child the fact families.