High School Math based on the topics required for the Regents
Exam conducted by NYSED. The following are the worked solutions
for the Algebra 1 (Common Core) Regents High School Examination
More Lessons for the Regents High School Exam
More Lessons for Algebra
Algebra I Common Core Regents New York State Exam - January 2017
The following are questions from the past paper Regents High School Algebra I January 2017 Exam (pdf)
. Scroll down the page for the step by step solutions.
Algebra 1 - January 2017 Regents - Questions and solutions 1 - 12
1.Which expression is equivalent to 16x2
2. What is the solution set of the equation (x - 2)(x - a) = 0?
3. Analysis of data from a statistical study shows a linear relationship in the data with a correlation coefficient of 0.524. Which statement best summarizes this result?
4. Boyle’s Law involves the pressure and volume of gas in a container. It can be represented by the formula P1
. When the formula is solved for P2
, the result is?
5. A radio station did a survey to determine what kind of music to play by taking a sample of middle school, high school, and college students. They were asked which of three different types of music they prefer on the radio: hip-hop, alternative, or classic rock. The results are summarized in the table below. What percentage of college students prefer classic rock?
6. Which function has zeros of 4 and 2?
7. Which expression is equivalent to 2(3g - 4) - (8g + 3)?
8. In 2014, the cost to mail a letter was 49¢ for up to one ounce. Every additional ounce cost 21¢. Which recursive function could be
used to determine the cost of a 3-ounce letter, in cents?
9. A car leaves Albany, NY, and travels west toward Buffalo, NY. The equation D 280 59t can be used to represent the distance, D, from Buffalo after t hours. In this equation, the 59 represents the
10. Faith wants to use the formula C(f) = 5/9(f - 32) to convert degrees Fahrenheit, f, to degrees Celsius, C(f). If Faith calculated C(68), what would her result be?
11. Which scenario represents exponential growth? computations.
(1) A water tank is filled at a rate of 2 gallons/minute.
(2) A vine grows 6 inches every week.
(3) A species of fl y doubles its population every month during the summer.
(4) A car increases its distance from a garage as it travels at a constant speed of 25 miles per hour.
12. What is the minimum value of the function y = |x + 3| - 2?
Algebra 1 - January 2017 Regents - Questions and solutions 13 - 24
13. What type of relationship exists between the number of pages printed on a printer and the amount of ink used by that printer?
14. A computer application generates a sequence of musical notes using the function f(n) = 6(16)n
, where n is the number of the note in the sequence and f(n) is the note frequency in hertz. Which function will generate the same note sequence as f(n)?
15. Which value of x is a solution to the equation 13 - 36x2
16. Which point is a solution to the system below?
2y < -12x + 4
y < -6x + 4
17. When the function f(x) = x2
is multiplied by the value a, where a > 1, the graph of the new function, g(x) = ax2
18. Andy has $310 in his account. Each week, w, he withdraws $30 for his expenses. Which expression could be used if he wanted to find
out how much money he had left after 8 weeks?
19. The daily cost of production in a factory is calculated using computations. c(x) = 200 + 16x, where x is the number of complete products manufactured. Which set of numbers best defines the domain of c(x)?
20. Noah conducted a survey on sports participation. He created the following two dot plots to represent the number of students participating, by age, in soccer and basketball. Which statement about the given data sets is correct?
21. A graph of average resting heart rates is shown below. The average resting heart rate for adults is 72 beats per minute, but doctors consider resting rates from 60-100 beats per minute within normal range. Which statement about average resting heart rates is not supported by the graph?
22. The method of completing the square was used to solve the equation 2x2
- 12x + 6 = 0. Which equation is a correct step when using this method?
23. Nancy works for a company that offers two types of savings plans. Plan A is represented on the graph below. Plan B is represented by the function f(x) = 0.01 + 0.05x2
, where x is the number of weeks. Nancy wants to have the highest savings possible after a year. Nancy picks Plan B.
24. The 2014 winner of the Boston Marathon runs as many as 120 miles per week. During the last few weeks of his training for an event, his mileage can be modeled by M(w) = 120(.90)w - 1
, where w represents the number of weeks since training began. Which statement is true about the model M(w)??
Algebra 1 - January 2017 Regents - Questions and solutions 25 - 37
25. In attempting to solve the system of equations y = 3x - 2 and 6x - 2y = 4, John graphed the two equations on his graphing calculator. Because he saw only one line, John wrote that the answer to the system is the empty set. Is he correct? Explain your answer.
26. A typical marathon is 26.2 miles. Allan averages 12 kilometers per hour when running in marathons. Determine how long it would take Allan to complete a marathon, to the nearest tenth of an hour. Justify your answer.
27. Solve the inequality below:
1.8 - 0.4y ≥ 2.2 - 2y
28. Jakob is working on his math homework. He decides that the sum of the expression 1/3 + 6√5/7 must be rational because it is a fraction. Is Jakob correct? Explain your reasoning.
29. Graph the inequality y > 2x - 5 on the set of axes below. State the coordinates of a point in its solution.
30. Sandy programmed a website’s checkout process with an equation to calculate the amount customers will be charged when they download songs. The website offers a discount. If one song is bought at the full price of $1.29, then each additional song is $.99.
State an equation that represents the cost, C, when s songs are downloaded. Sandy figured she would be charged $52.77 for 52 songs. Is this the correct amount? Justify your answer.
31. A family is traveling from their home to a vacation resort hotel. The table below shows their distance from home as a function of time. Determine the average rate of change between hour 2 and hour 7, including units.
32. Nora says that the graph of a circle is a function because she can trace the whole graph without picking up her pencil. Mia says that a circle graph is not a function because multiple values of x map to the same y-value. Determine if either one is correct, and justify your answer completely.
33. Graph f(x) = |x| and g(x) = -x2
+ 6 on the grid below. Does f(-2) = g(-2)? Use your graph to explain why or why not.
34. Two friends went to a restaurant and ordered one plain pizza and two sodas. Their bill totaled $15.95. Later that day, five friends went to the same restaurant. They ordered three plain pizzas and each person had one soda. Their bill totaled $45.90. Write and solve a system of equations to determine the price of one plain pizza. [Only an algebraic solution can receive full credit.]
35. Tanya is making homemade greeting cards. The data table below represents the amount she spends in dollars, f(x), in terms of the number of cards she makes, x. Write a linear function, f(x), that represents the data. Explain what the slope and y-intercept of f(x) mean in the given context.
36. Alex launched a ball into the air. The height of the ball can be represented by the equation h = -8t2
+ 40t + 5, where h is the height, in units, and t is the time, in seconds, after the ball was launched. Graph the equation from t = 0 to t = 5 seconds. State the coordinates of the vertex and explain its meaning in the context of the problem.
37. Ian is borrowing $1000 from his parents to buy a notebook computer. He plans to pay them back at the rate of $60 per month. Ken is borrowing $600 from his parents to purchase a snowboard. He plans to pay his parents back at the rate of $20 per month. Write an equation that can be used to determine after how many months the boys will owe the same amount. Determine algebraically and state in how many months the two boys will owe the same amount. State the amount they will owe at this time. Ian claims that he will have his loan paid off 6 months after he and Ken owe the same amount. Determine and state if Ian is correct. Explain your reasoning.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.