Algebra I Common Core Regents Exam - August 2015
High School Math based on the topics required for the Regents
Exam conducted by NYSED. The following are the worked solutions
for the Algebra 1 (Common Core) Regents High School Examination
More Lessons for the Regents High School Exam
More Lessons for Algebra
Algebra I Common Core Regents New York State Exam - August 2015
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #1 - 5
1. Given the graph of the line represented by the equation computations.
f(x) = -2x + b, if b is increased by 4 units, the graph of the new
line would be shifted 4 units
2. Rowan has $50 in a savings jar and is putting in $5 every week. Jonah
has $10 in his own jar and is putting in $15 every week. Each of them
plots his progress on a graph with time on the horizontal axis and
amount in the jar on the vertical axis. Which statement about their
graphs is true?
3. To watch a varsity basketball game, spectators must buy a ticket at
the door. The cost of an adult ticket is $3.00 and the cost of a
student ticket is $1.50. If the number of adult tickets sold is
represented by a and student tickets sold by s, which expression
represents the amount of money collected at the door from the
4. Which function could represent the graph of f(x)?
5. The cost of a pack of chewing gum in a vending machine is $0.75.
The cost of a bottle of juice in the same machine is $1.25. Julia has
$22.00 to spend on chewing gum and bottles of juice for her team and
she must buy seven packs of chewing gum. If b represents the number
of bottles of juice, which inequality represents the maximum number
of bottles she can buy?
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #6 - 10
6. Which graph represents the solution of y ≤ x + 3 and y ≥ -2x - 2?
7. The country of Benin in West Africa has a population of 9.05 million
people. The population is growing at a rate of 3.1% each year.
Which function can be used to find the population 7 years from now?
8. A typical cell phone plan has a fixed base fee that includes a certain computations.
amount of data and an overage charge for data use beyond the plan.
A cell phone plan charges a base fee of $62 and an overage charge
of $30 per gigabyte of data that exceed 2 gigabytes. If C represents
the cost and g represents the total number of gigabytes of data,
which equation could represent this plan when more than
2 gigabytes are used?
9. Find the equivalent expression.
10. Last week, a candle store received $355.60 for selling 20 candles.
Small candles sell for $10.98 and large candles sell for $27.98.
How many large candles did the store sell?
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #11 - 15
11. Which representations are functions?
14. Which recursively defined function has a first term equal to 10 and computations.
a common difference of 4?
15. Firing a piece of pottery in a kiln takes place at different
temperatures for different amounts of time. The graph below shows
the temperatures in a kiln while firing a piece of pottery after the
kiln is preheated to 200°F.
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #16 - 20
16. Which graph represents f(x)?
18. Alicia has invented a new app for smart phones that two companies computations.
are interested in purchasing for a 2-year contract
Company A is offering her $10,000 for the first month and will
increase the amount each month by $5000.
Company B is offering $500 for the first month and will double their
payment each month from the previous month.
Monthly payments are made at the end of each month. For which
monthly payment will company B’s payment first exceed company A’s
19. The two sets of data below represent the number of runs scored by
two different youth baseball teams over the course of a season.
Team A: 4, 8, 5, 12, 3, 9, 5, 2
Team B: 5, 9, 11, 4, 6, 11, 2, 7
Which set of statements about the mean and standard deviation is
20. If Lylah completes the square for f(x) = x2
- 12x + 7 in order
to find the minimum, she must write f(x) in the general form
f(x) = (x - a)2
+ b. What is the value of a for f(x)?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.