More Lessons for Algebra
What are age word problems in algebra?
Age problems are algebra word problems that deal with the ages of people currently, in the past or in the future.
If the problem involves a single person, then it is similar to an Integer Problem. Read the problem carefully to determine the relationship between the numbers. This is shown in the following example involving a single person.
If the age problem involves the ages of two or more people then using a table would be a good idea. A table will help you to organize the information and to write the equations. This is shown in the age problems: examples involving more than one person.
How to solve age word problems?
Age Problems Involving A Single Person
Five years ago, John’s age was half of the age he will be in 8 years. How old is he now?
Step 1: Let x be John’s age now. Look at the question and put the relevant expressions above it.
Step 2: Write out the equation.
Isolate variable x
Answer: John is now 18 years old.
More examples of age word problems
1) In 4 years, Ali will be 3 times as old as he is today. How old is Ali today?
2) Nazrat is 4 years older than Unama. 2 years ago, Nazrat was 5 times as old as Unama. How old is Nazrat today?
Age word problem, Linear equations, Algebra I
In 40 years, Imran will be 11 times as old as he is right now. How old is he right now?
William is 4 times as old as Ben. 12 years ago, William was 7 times as old as Ben. How old is Ben now?
Age Word Problems In Algebra - Past, Present, Future
System of Linear Equations
1. Sally is 3 times as old as John. 8 years from now, Sally will be twice as old as John. How old is John?
2. Kim is 6 years more than twice Timothy's age. 2 years ago, Kim was three times as old as Timothy. How old was Kim 2 years ago?
3. Leah is 2 less than 3 times Rachel's age. 3 years from now, Leah will be 7 more than twice Rachel's age. How old will Rachel be 3 years from now?
4. Becca is twice as old as Susan and Greg is 9 years older than Susan. 3 years ago, Becca was 9 less than 3 times Susan's age. How old is Greg now?
5. Lauren is 3 less than twice Andrew's age. 4 years from now, Sam will be 2 more than twice Andrew's age. 5 years ago, Sam was 3 times Andrew's age. How old was Lauren 5 years ago?
6. Gabby is 1 year more than twice Larry's age. 3 years from now, Megan will be 27 less than twice Gabby's age. 4 years ago, Megan was 1 year less than 3 times Larry's age. How old will Megan be 3 years from now?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.