Addition and Arrays (Grade 2)
Videos and songs to help Grade 2 students learn how to use addition to find the total number of objects arranged in rectangular arrays with up to 5 rows and up to 5 columns; write an equation to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
Common Core: 2.OA.4
Suggested Learning Target
- I can use addition to find the total number of objects in an array.
- I can write an addition equation (e.g., 3 + 3 + 3 = 9) to express the total as a sum of equal addends.
- I can represent the total number of objects arranged in a rectangular array as an expression with the repeated addition of number of objects in each row (or column). For example if there are 3 rows with 4 objects in each row, I can write the expression 4 + 4 + 4.
- I can construct rectangular arrays using concrete manipulatives
- I can use repeated addition to find the number of objects in a an array
- Knowledge of rectangular arrays as a foundation for multiplication and a model of the connection between addition and multiplication
More Lessons for Grade 2
Common Core for Grade 2
Arrays and Addition
Rows go side to side
Columns go up and down
Add by the rows and add by the columns.
How to add items in an array?