The following are some examples of 6th Grade Math Word Problems that deals with percentages.
Percent Word Problems can be solved using different methods.
In this lesson, we will learn how to solve percent word problems
using block diagrams or bar models
• using the grid method
• using proportions
15% of the number of people who attended a concert arrived late. If 30 people arrived late, find the number of people who attended the concert.
From the above model, we see that
15% → 30 people
1% → 30 ÷ 15 = 2 people
100% → 100 × 2 = 200 people
200 people attended the concert.
Kathy earned $75 an hour. Andy earned 20% more money than Kathy. How much money did Andy earn in an hour?
100% + 20% = 120%
Andy’s earnings was 120% of Kathy’s earnings.
100% → $75
1% → $75 ÷ 100 = $0.75
120% → 120 × $0.75 = $90
Andy earned $90 an hour.
Examples of solving percent problems with bar models.
1) Marilyn saves 30% of the money she earns each month. She earns $350 each month. How much does she save?
2) At the Natural History Museum, 40% of the visitors are children. There are 36 children at the museum. How many visitors altogether are at the museum?
3) Bill bought cards to celebrate Pi day. He sends 60% of his cards to friends. He sent 42 cards to friends. How many cards did he buy altogether?
4) Bruce cookies 80% of the pancakes at the
pancake breakfast last weekend. They made 1120 pancakes. How many pancakes did Bruce cook?
Examples of finding total price with sales tax and an example of finding cost after discount using bar models.
1) Alejandro bought a television set for $900 and paid a sales tax of 8%. How much did he pay for the television set?
2) Alice saved for a new bike. The bike was on sale for a discount of 35%. The original cost of the bike was $270. How much did she pay for the bike?
Using Grid Method
Setting up the Percent Problem
Describes how to set up a percent problem using the grid method. Uses examples with the total given and looking for the parts.
Multiple Step Percent Problems Part 1
Examples of how to solve percent word problems with the grid method.
Percent Word Problems (1 of 4): Percentage Problems
Shows how to solve "percent of" word problems using proportions
Percent Word Problems (2 of 4): Sales and Discount
Solving percent word problems that involve finding a sale price given original price and discount, finding an original price given sale price and discount, and finding sale price given profit
Percent Word Problems (3 of 4): Profit
Solving percent word problems that involve finding the percentage profit
Percent Word Problems (4 of 4): Percent Increase and Decrease
Solving percent word problems that involve percent increase and decrease
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.